Dr Kinda AISamara
Position: Lecturer in Arabic Language and Culture | CAIS Language Coordinator
School and/or Centres: Centre for Arab and Islamic Studies
Qualification:PhD (The University of Melbourne)
Kinda AlSamara is Lecturer in Arabic Language and Culture and Language Coordinator at CAIS. With extensive experience in teaching Arabic language at all levels, she has taught at prestigious institutions such as The University of Sydney, The University of Queensland and Deakin University. Her research interests are wide-ranging, including Arabic literature, urban studies, education, media, gender, and women’s social history across the Arab world, with a particular focus on the Levant. Dr. AlSamara has expertise in reading and interpreting traditional Arabic sources and manuscripts, bringing valuable insights to her work. She welcomes Honours, Masters and Ph.D. students wanting to work on these research areas.
- AlSamara, K 2023, “Seeing Cairo Through Paris: Nineteenth Century Literary Observations by Egyptian Intellectuals,” by Nezar AlSayyad in Cairo: Histories, Representation and Discourses, Routledge Handbook, Cairo.
- AlSamara, K 2022 “Qirāʼat al-Qāhirah min khilāl Barīz: Kitābāt udabāʼ al-qarn al-tāsiʻ ʻashr,” by Nezar AlSayyad in al-Qāhirah: Muʼarrakhah wa-mumat̲t̲alah, Routledge Handbook, Cairo.
- AlSamara, K 2022, “Cinematic Cairo of the United Arab Republic, 1958- 1962,” by Nezar AlSayyad; Heba Safey Eldeen in Cinematic Cairo: Egyptian Urban Modernity from Reel to Real, The American University in Cairo Press.
- KaKaje, A; AlSamara, K; Forbes, D 2021, "Assessment of problematic anger using an Arabic adaptation of the Dimensions of Anger Reactions Scale-5 (DAR-5),” in Journal of Affective Disorders Reports.
- AlSamara, K 2019, “Religion versus Secularism on Women’s Liberation: The Question of Women Liberation and Modern Education,” in World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology International Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, vol. 13, no. 8.
- AlSamara, K 2019, “A New Educational Model and the Crisis of Modern Terminologies: A View of Egypt in the Nineteenth Century,” in Culture and Education: Looking Back to Culture through Education, Routledge: Taylor & Francis Group.
- AlSamara, K 2018, Qult… Kalimāt wa Ḥurūf, Cairo: Dār al-Shhiʻr.
- AlSamara, K 2018, “Muḥammad ʻAbduh: Islam and New Urbanity, in the Nineteenth-Century Arab World,” in Australian Journal of Islamic Studies, vol. 3.
- AlSamara, K 2018, “Intellectual and Educational Transformations, and New Urbanity in Damascus, A View of the Nineteenth Century,” in Journal of Arts, Literature, Humanities and Social Science, issue. 21.
- AlSamara, K 2017, The Rise of Modern Urbanity (Tamaddun) in the Arab World Germany: Lambert Academic.
- AlSamara, K 2016, “Journalism and New Urbanity in the Arab World: A View of the Nineteenth Century,” in Journal Tabyyun, issue 18, vol. 5.
- AlSamara, K 2016, “A New Educational Model and the Crisis of Modern Terminologies: A View of Egypt in the Nineteenth Century,” in Journal Paedagogica Historica, 24-35.
- AlSamara, K 2015, "Women’s Freedom in 19th-Century Arab Renaissance Discourse,” in Journal al-Turāth al-ʻArabī, issue 136.
- AlSamara, K 2013, "Highlights in the History of the Arab Press in the Nineteenth Century," in Journal al-Mawqif al-Adabī, issue 505.
CONFERENCE PAPER PRESENTATIONS
- AlSamara, K; Kouatly L 2022, Three Languages, Three Cultures: Narratives from the Middle East, Fri 10 Jun, | Conference Paper “The changing role of women in Arab societies,” CAIS
- AlSamara, K 2018, 20th International Conference on Gender History and Politics on November,19-20, | Conference Paper “Women’s Liberation: Religion versus Secularism.” ICGHP
- AlSamara, K 2017, Islam and Justice AAIMS Inaugural Conference on the Study of Islam and Muslim Societies, 18-19 December, | Conference Paper “Muhammad ‘Abduh, Islam, Justice and the Liberation of Women,” AAIMS.
- AlSamara, K 2016, 3rd Australasian Conference on Islam: Refuting the Theological Foundations of Violent Extremism and Radicalisation,13th – 14th October, | Conference Paper “Muḥammad ʻAbduh, Islam, and the Liberation of Women in the Nineteenth- Century Arab World: How ʻAbduh’s Approach Can Address Radicalism,” ADI.
- AlSamara, K 2015, Second International Conference on Arabic Studies and Islamic Civilization 9th–10th March, | Conference Paper “Muhammad ʻAbduh: Islam and New Urbanity in the Nineteenth Century Arab World,” ICASIC.
- AlSamara, K 2015, Rethinking Intellectual History, 7-9 April. The University of Sydney, | Conference Paper “Liberated Women: A View of the Arab World in the Nineteenth Century,” ISIH.
- AlSamara, K 2015, 37th International Standing Conference for the History of Education, | Conference Paper “The Crisis of Modern Terminologies: A View of the Arab World in the Nineteenth Century,” ISCHE.